- 1 pound 85% lean grass-fed ground bison or beef
- 4 slices nitrate-free bacon, cut into ½-inch pieces
- ¼ cup grass-fed cheddar cheese, coarsely shredded
- ¼ cup red onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- ¼ cup pickled jalapeno, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 slices bacon (pasture-raised & nitrate/nitrite-free)
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 4 slices grass-fed cheddar cheese
- 4 fried eggs (optional)
- 1 organic sweet potato (try to get a fatter sweet potato instead of a long skinny one)
- 2-4 tablespoons grass-fed butter or ghee, melted
- Salt and pepper
- If you’re making the sweet potato buns, you’ll want to start these first. Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with foil.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. While water is heating up, thinly slice the sweet potato. A sharp knife or mandolin is useful here. Add sweet potato slices to the boiling water and boil for 5 minutes.
- Remove from water and thoroughly pat dry. Dredge each sweet potato slice in melted butter and place in a single layer on the foil lined-baking sheet. You can also place sweet potato slices on the foil-lined baking sheet and pour butter over the slices, flipping to coat. Salt and pepper the tops of the slices.
- Bake for 10-20 minutes, depending on thickness, until lightly browned on the underside. Watch closely so they don’t burn. Flip and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, until lightly golden browned. Again, watch closely and remove when lightly browned.
- Heat skillet over medium-low, and add ½-inch pieces of bacon. Cook until lightly browned, about 6-10 minutes.
- Combine all burger ingredients in a bowl, and use hands to evenly incorporate. Form into patties.
- Add 4 slices of bacon to the skillet and cook over medium-low, rendering bacon fat into the skillet. Reserve fat in the pan, and set bacon aside.
- Add yellow onion slices to the skillet, and saute until translucent. Set aside.
- Add burger patties to the skillet, and cook for about 4-5 minutes, till you see the side of the patty start to brown. Flip, add a slice of cheese to the top, and cook for about 4 minutes more, until done.
- Add burgers to serving plates and top with bacon, sautéed onion, sliced avocado, and season with salt and pepper. A fried egg is also a delicious topping!
When it comes to eating meat, quality matters.
Grass-fed, organically raised beef is significantly higher than conventional in important nutrients like CLA, Omega-3 Fatty Acid, and vitamin E.
But finding quality meats can be a challenge. We don’t all live down the street from a farm.
Nowadays, with the power of the interwebs at your fingertips, you don’t have to settle for the industrial-raised beef that’s been pumped full of hormones and antibiotics at the chain supermarket down the street. There’s a better way.
Right after I share this flavorful burger recipe with you, I’m going to tell you exactly where you can get high-quality grass-fed beef.
A Proper Wedding Feast: Wild Cowboy Burgers
Alyson and I had a small wedding ceremony with her family in Arizona late last year. But instead of hiring a catering company to make the food, we spent under $200 and whipped up a feast for 40 people with these Cowboy Burgers, sweet potatoes fries, and homemade cheesecake.
Several family members (and even the kids) raved: “These are the best burgers I’ve ever tasted!”
With the average wedding in America coming with a price tag of $31,213.00, we were pretty stoked to cook everything ourselves for a couple hundred bucks. 🙂
A big juicy burger piled high with savory toppings, dripping with deliciousness… sounds more like a cheat meal than a fat-melting diet food, doesn’t it? Well this burger is 100% Wild Diet approved.
When you’re eating like this, you don’t need a “cheat” meal. Click To Tweet
This Cowboy Burger hits every flavor from the spice of the jalapeno to the sweetness of the caramelized onion. Then you get the crunchy salty bacon and the cool, creamy avocado. It’s a bona fide flavor explosion.
Plus, these burgers are the perfect make-ahead meal. So double up the batch (or triple), and freeze half for when you need something to grab and go! They can go from raw and frozen straight to a grill, or you can cook ahead to thaw later and reheat in a pan or the oven.
Hearty enough for a cowboy (or cowgirl), but flavors fit for a rockstar, fat-burning food has never been so delicious. Yep, it’s Burger Night.
Want another tasty idea for burger night? Try the Ultimate Bacon Burger.
Where To Find Grass-Fed Beef
I debunked many myths and shared recent research on red meat. Bottom line: grass-fed red meat from healthy animals is good for you. But when you first switch to a Wild lifestyle, you might find grass-fed meat hard to find or too expensive for your budget.
But finding Wild meats is getting easier and easier. Here are a few of our favorite online shops that source grass-fed, pasture-raised meats and deliver them straight to your door:
Grass-fed beef has less fat and three times the conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) of feedlot beef. Research shows CLA can protect against heart disease, diabetes, and cancer. Pastured meat also contains significantly more antioxidants and Vitamin E (which also help keep the meat fresh from farm to table).
And it’s better for the cattle and the environment because these cattle are raised on pasture instead of factory feedlots.
How To Get Your Daily Greens
Want an easy way to get more daily nutrients?
Future Greens is a concentrated superfood powder made of 15 certified organic fruits & vegetables, plus 6 additional superfoods, and digestive enzymes. It mixes with water to instantly create a tasty superfood drink, any time of the day.
Mix with yogurt, fresh fruit, add to your smoothie or drink straight with water to get a hearty dose of veggies.
The fiber in the kale, spinach, and other greens will help you beat cravings. You won’t even realize you’re eating broccoli.
Whether as a morning drink, a pre-meal drink, or just a snack, you’ll feel satisfied and energized and less likely to eat junk. With a concentrated, broad-spectrum infusion of fruits, veggies, and other superfoods, Future Greens gives you a massive boost of your daily micronutrients—including vitamins, antioxidants, and minerals.
Plus, when you sign up for a monthly subscription using the Subscribe and Save option above, you’ll save over 20% off your Future Greens order, and we’ll set you up with a free account to our online community…
You’ll not only have all the health benefits of Future Greens delivered to your doorstep each month, but you’ll also get FREE ACCESS to our exclusive Fat-Burning Tribe ($27/month value)!
The Fat-Burning Tribe is an online community focused on Wild health, fat-loss, fitness, and creating a positive and safe atmosphere to share your health journey. This includes detailed monthly meal plans, a motivational journal, quick-start guide, tons of articles, recipes, demonstration videos and more.
With Future Greens, you can whip up your daily green drink in less than 30 seconds, no matter where you are.